Pap Abdoulaye Dial with student Katrina Dixon (US)
Study Wolof, the main national language of Senegal, in Saint-Louis! You can take private lessons with Pap Abdoulaye Dial, a teacher with a long experience of teaching at Université Gaston Berger, and author of study materials on Wolof language and culture. He also offers classes online through Skype. Contact info: Pap Abdoulaye Dial, telephone +221 77 633 59 20, +221 33 961 34 96
E-mail: abdoulayedial [at] hotmail.com
1. "Na nga def?" Livre de conversation avec CD en wolof/français. 108 pages. Prix unitaire 7 000 fcfa, CD 2 000 fcfa.
2. "Gan gi" Le visiteur. Livre de conversation avec CD en wolof/français. 96 pages. Prix unitaire: 6 000 fcfa, CD: 2 000 fcfa.
Ce même livre existe en version wolof/anglais, wolof/espagnol, wolof/allemand.
Why learn Wolof?
If you are interested in learning an African language, Wolof is a good choice. There is a variety of learning materials available, and you can find music, films and some literature in Wolof. The basics are not very difficult, and you will quickly learn enough in order to communicate. A linguist, however, will find many fascinating features in the structure of the language.
Are you interested in Senegal? The Wolof language is the key to the country. It is the de facto national language, spoken by over 90% of the population. You can get by in Senegal in French, but knowing Wolof will make your experience more rewarding. English is not widely understood. Wolof is also spoken in the Gambia and southern Mauritania, as well as by a large Senegalese diaspora.
Do you want to understand the lyrics of the songs of Youssou N'Dour? Here you have your chance!
Why learn Wolof in Saint-Louis?
In picturesque and peaceful Saint-Louis, everything is close at hand - in contrast to the bustle and traffic jams of Dakar. On the other hand, there are enough things going on in town to keep you busy.
3. Dictionnaire wolof-français/français-wolof. 190 pages. Prix unitaire: 10 000 fcfa.
4. Dictionnaire wolof-anglais/anglais-wolof. 249 pages. Prix unitaire: 12 000 fcfa.
5. Initiation à la grammaire wolof/français. 83 pages. Prix unitaire: 5 000 fcfa. Ce livre existe en version anglaise.
6. Initiation à la transcription du wolof. 93 pages. Prix unitaire: 3 000 fcfa.
7. Syllabare wolof pour les classes d'alphabetisation. 64 pages. Prix unitaire: 2 000 fcfa.